Items of Useless Information. No 7.

White chocolate is marketed by confectioners a...

Image via Wikipedia

Chocolate is a poison.

No this isn’t an anti-obesity campaign, it’s true.

Theobromine poisoning or chocolate poisoning is an adverse reaction to the alkaloid theobromine, found in chocolate, and some other foods. The amount of theobromine in chocolate is so small  that chocolate can usually be safely consumed by humans. Occasionaly serious side effects result from consuming large quantities, especially for older people. Sometimes a trip to accident and emergency may be necessary.

Serious poisoning is more likely for domestic animals, which metabolize theobromine more slowly than humans, and who are more sensitive to the poison. The commonest fatal reactions are in dogs though cats are more susceptible to the poison, but don’t have taste buds to detect sweetness and so are less likely to eat chocolate in the first place.  Birds are reportedly even more vulnerable, a chocolate button being more than enough to kill a sparrow. Mice are slightly less tolerant of Theobromine than humans, and rats slightly more tolerant.

The potentially fatal doses are

Humans   26 Kg about 45 lb. for a normal adult

Dogs  4 kg about 8 lb for a medium sized dog.

Cats  60g

Mice   20g

Rats  50g

Sparrow  1g

Symptoms of illness can occur at lower figures than this, which probably explains why eating too much chocolate makes humans sick. Rather than the sugar intake which is generally assumed to be at fault after eating too many sweets.

Advertisements

About Transremaxculver

An entirely fictitious username I created for posting on 'alt.religion.scientology', Scientology is something of which I am highly critical. For those of you who don't know, the Church of Scientology have a habit of making life very uncomfortable for even the most legitimate of critics, which is why this username is completely anonymous. Anyway I have become quite fond of this username, and although it has to some extent outgrown it's original purpose, I think a blog is perhaps the right place for me/it to continue to grow and develop.
This entry was posted in Useless Information and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s